Summer is here and I’m enjoying the long hot days! Here’s what I’m into this month:
- College reunion. It was fun to go back to Dickinson College this month and stay in the dorms with friends. It’s funny how a trip back to school can make it feel like no time has passed at all…
- Exploring Queens. I moved to this borough almost a year ago and made a long list of places to check out. I’m slowly making my way through and finding so many great places. I visited MoMA PS1, Brooklyn Boulders Queensbridge and Citifield (thought not for the first time). I’m taking a guitar class at Queens Guitar School and after class, I’ll meet Pete to try a new restaurant in the neighborhood (Astoria). We really like Milkflower and Snowdonia.
- Chris Guillebeau’s Side Hustle School. I love a good project and this one from Chris Guillebeau is very compelling. He’s releasing a new podcast every day in 2017 about people and their side hustles. I really love how short each one is (most are <10 minutes) and that he includes quantitative measures of success, like revenue! I’m conflicted about the push for millennials to start a side hustle (more on that another time), but I appreciate this content.
- The Getting Things Done method from David Allen and reaching Inbox Zero. I’ve heard about this on life hack sites for years and I’m finally reading the book. I haven’t fully committed, but there are great tips for leading a more minimal and organized life.
- Long walks. I’m trying to get 10,000 steps a day, something that’s disturbingly difficult with an office job. Now that the weather’s nice I try to walk home across Queensboro Bridge or take a walk along the waterfront if I have time after dinner. Not always possible, but great when it happens.